Assalamu Alaikum Brothers and Sisters in Islam,
I wish you and your family a very happy and blessed Eid. Eid Mubarak to you all.
The happiness we share at this time of year, having found sweet recess from a month of fasting, nightly vigil, extra discipline and lots of charity is surely divine and warrants gratefulness. As we watch the human tragedy in East Africa, Somalia, Ethiopia, Syria, Yemen, and Myanmar, engulfing the countries with relentless grips of poverty and desperation we are indeed thankful for having Eid spent in safer and cleaner environments.
Kudos to those who braved their passions and tightened their waistbands in order to fight the little distractions and have arrived at this juncture more balanced, more peaceful and more loving, ready to travel yet another year in life with resolve to make humanity a better place to live and let others live.
May your days be like the joy of every new moon and may your month long retreat bring you fruits for a long time after and may the gifts you share around the world bring us closer to reality that the Everlasting Eid is surely worth working for.
Sunnah of Eid: Keeping with the tradition of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH), Muslims are encouraged to prepare themselves for the occasion of Eid. Below is a list of things Muslims should do in preparation for Eid:
- Wake up early & offer Salat ul-Fajr in Masjid with Jama'ah
- Prepare for personal cleanliness take care of details of clothing, etc
- Brush your teeth & take a Ghusl (bath) after Fajr كَانَ يَغْتَسِلُ يَوْمَ الْفِطْرِ قَبْلَ أَنْ يَغْدُوَ إِلَى الْمُصَلَّى
- Pay Zakat al-Fitr before Salat al-Eid (on Eid al-Fitr)
- Pray Nafl on the Eid night, for Rasulullah (S) said, مَنْ قَامَ لَيْلَتَيّ العِيدَيْنِ مُحْتَسِبَاً للهِ لَمْ يَمُتْ قَلْبُهُ يَوْمَ تَمُوتُ القُلُوبُ "For the one who spends the nights before the two Eids in prayer, hoping for a reward from Allah, his heart will not die on the day that the hearts die (Recorded in Ibn Majah).
- Dress up, putting on best clothes available, whether new or cleaned old ones كان للنبي صلى الله عليه وسلم جبة يلبسها للعيدين
- Use perfume (men only)
- Have breakfast on Eid al-Fitr before leaving for prayer ground كَانَ النَّبِيُّ صلى الله عليه وسلم َلا يَخْرُجُ يَوْمَ الْفِطْرِ حَتَّى يَطْعَمَ
- Go to masjid early,and if possible walk to Masjid كَانَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم يَخْرُجُ إِلَى الْعِيدِ مَاشِيًا، وَيَرْجِعُ مَاشِيًا
- Use two separate routes to and from the prayer ground كَانَ النَّبِيُّ صلى الله عليه وسلم إِذَا كَانَ يَوْمُ عِيدٍ خَالَفَ الطَّرِيقَ
- Recite the following Takbir on the way to Salaat and until the beginning of Salat al-Eid. كان يقول: الله أكبر الله أكبر، لا أله إلا الله، والله أكبر الله أكبر، ولله الحمد Allahu-Akbar, Allahu-Akbar. La ilaha illa-lah. Allahu-Akbar, Allahu-Akbar. Wa-lilahi al-hamd.(Allah is greater. Allah is greater. There is no god but Allah. Allah is greater. Allah is greater. And all praises are for Allah)
- Meet and greet with one another after Eid Prayer with dua. كان أصحاب رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم إذا التقى يوم العيد يقول بعضهم لبعض : تقبل منا ومنك
Fast for six days in Shawwal:
According to the formula that there is at least ten-fold reward for every virtue, the Saum of one month (Ramadan) are equivalent to Saum of ten months. If one also observes six days of Saum of Shawwal, they will be equal to Saum of two months. Thus, one becomes eligible for the reward of one full years' Saum.
As the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "He who observes As-Saum (the fasts) in the month of Ramadan, and also observes As-Saum for six days in the month of Shawwal, it is as if he has observed As-Saum for the whole year." عن أَبي أيوب أنَّ رسول الله قَالَ : « مَنْ صَامَ رَمَضَانَ ثُمَّ أتْبَعَهُ سِتّاً مِنْ شَوَّالٍ ، كَانَ كَصِيَامِ الدَّهْرِ » . رواه مسلم
Once again, I wish you and your family a very happy and blessed Eid.